05 Ion body control module

Discussion in 'Saturn ION' started by beedle56, Oct 1, 2024.

1. beedle56

beedle56

I bought this car for my granddaughter who will be driving soon. It has 89000 miles on it and I gave $1000 knowing it had a problem. The drivers master control on the armrest doesn't work. I bought a new one but it didn't fix the problem. local garage said it was the body control module which is no longer available. Found a used one on Ebay which when i installed it shows a lock icon on the control panel. Service manual says it needs to be programmed . Took it to the Chevy dealership and was told it wouldn't accept the VIN.then told me once they were installed new they couldn't be swapped later. Is there a company that sells rebuilt modules? This car is immaculate and drives great.

beedle56, Oct 1, 2024
  2. beedle56

Nutjob1

If I'm not mistaken, your Ion has Passlock antitheft with remotes. The bcm is married to the ecm for security, A Passlock sensor in the ignition assembly detects ignition lock rotation as well as an embedded resistor in the ignition switch as part of Ion antitheft. When a sensor, ecm or bcm is replaced, the Passlock system must be relearned in a 30 minute procedure to remarry parts to allow the antitheft system to work. GM uses their scantool in 10 minutes while owners must perform the same procedure in 30 minutes without GMs scantool.

You can try marrying the replacement bcm to see (a) learn Passlock security and (b) if the driver's control panel is restored. Security is a priority when dealing with ecm and bcm issues. The bcm carries odometer mileage and cannot be reset. If the original bcm/mileage is lower and the replacement bcm has higher stored values, it will display the stored mileage.

Nutjob1, Oct 7, 2024
Ask a Question