Battery issues

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Beverly S via CarKB.com, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I have a 1993 Saturn SC2 and I am about convinced this car has a gremlin. For
    the past year it goes through "phases" where it just won't start. If you are
    persistent it will start eventually....The first symptom of this problem was
    when I started the car I would notice that the radio was always reset back to
    a.m. like the battery had been cut off. Then on cold days it took a good ten
    minutes of trying to get it started. Oddly, if you opened the door the door
    open "Dinger" had to be "dinging" or it wouldn't start. So if you tapped the
    console it would start dinging and the car would start. Although, my children
    find this greatly amusing...I DONT.

I have had the alternator checked and replaced. There's a new battery in it.
    I have some suspicion that the automatic seatbelts might be a culprit because
    they are acting funny, but it may just be because the power is compromised.
    Now, today, there is a clicking noise coming from the console between the
    seats. It's a constant clicking that starts when you turn the key or open the
    door to the car. It comes right from the console where the emergency brake is
    and absolutely Nobody has a clue what this is. I am convinced that this
    clicking is totally draining the battery because now it wont start at all.
    It's completely dead.

I did have a shop tell me that they could replace the ignition switch for
    $400 but they wouldn't guarantee that was the problem. I would be so happy if
    one of you could save me from having to spend a fortune to troubleshoot this
    problem!!!!

Thank you.

Beverly

Beverly S via CarKB.com, Jun 14, 2005
  2. Beverly S via CarKB.com

shoppa Guest

[ Chasing down electrical problems based on symptoms in cabin of car ]

I realize that you love to find every little symptom of the electrical
    problem, but you'd be far more effective in troubleshooting if you
    cleaned the battery terminals, checked for good electrical and
    mechanical integrity in the battery and alternator wiring, etc.

Tim.

shoppa, Jun 14, 2005
Ask a Question