Passenger seat track reset lock mech broken, any fix?

Discussion in 'Saturn S-series' started by jimtmcdaniels, Jul 31, 2024.

1. jimtmcdaniels

jimtmcdaniels

Hi 98 SC2. 140K miles.
    The passenger seat mechanism which re-locks the seat track back into position after someone flips the seat forward for back seat entry, is worn out, now working inconsistently.
    I’ve included pics of the worn mech.

How it seems to work:
    There is a like stationary flex metal flag which stands up and catches and so triggers a lever, when moving the seat back into position. Which releases the metal fingers to engage and re-lock the fingers into the seat rail track.
    But they are both like worn, mostly the lever hook, and so not engaging each other anymore.
    I can’t see an easy fix for this, besides replacing the whole seat track with a non worn one from the salvage yard OR perhaps welding some metal to recreate more of a hook-tip back onto the lever that the metal flag is supposed to engage flip.

Q. Does anyone know of the best fix? Any particular model years this design might have been improved or?

I suppose I’ll try welding a tip back first since I do have a welder and some experience.

Thanks

Attached Files:

jimtmcdaniels, Jul 31, 2024
  2. jimtmcdaniels

Derf

Weld away

Derf, Aug 26, 2024
Ask a Question