SATURN TAAT OVERHAUL DILEMMA

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by rwa5659, Oct 23, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

1. rwa5659

rwa5659

I am overhauling a 2000 Saturn SL2 TAAT Transmission and putting it back together have run into a dilemma. I have an ATSG Technical Service Information Manual that shows in detail of every part of the transmission which has guided me thru step by step the overhaul procedures, with illustrated photos.

When I took the transmission apart I took photos of practically everything put were each specific part was on the INPUT and OUTPUT shafts since each is illustrate in the Manual, but I did keep them separated by specific areas I pulled them from.

Everything went well until I got to putting back the OUTPUT Shaft. When I removed the 4th Dive Gear from it's housing I had placed the 3 Bearings, Thrust Washer, and what appears (in attached photos) to be a spacer, under the Drive Gear.

When assembling the parts in the 4th Drive Gear area I could not find a photo or even a mention of the spacer (see photos) in the ATSG manual or from any online Diagrams. I've checked both the OUTPUT or INPUT Shafts and still no luck. The only area I've found based on worn markings, that it may be, is an additional support under the 4TH GEAR Thrust Washer. It appears (as photos show) to be the only place in the area of the 4TH GEAR and where it fits perfectly. Even the markings on the bottom of the thrust washer and the top of the Snap Ring makes it appear it was from there.

I believe this may have been placed there either at the factory, or when someone else worked on or replaced the 4TH GEAR, possibly from a different model year TAAT Transmission.

I have measured it. As seen in Photo 2 it is just a little over 1/8" in Thickness, with Outside Diameter of 1 & and Inside Diameter of 1 & 1/2". In Photo 3 the thickness is around 1/8".
    2. Inside & Ouside Diameter.jpg
    I'm asking if anyone else who has overhauled the Saturn TAAT S Series Transmission or worked on the 4TH GEAR seen this Spacer, and know exactly where it may go. I surely don't want to place in the wrong area.

Attached Files:

rwa5659, Oct 23, 2024 at 6:42 PM
Ask a Question