SC2 2001 stalls when accelerating from intersection

Discussion in 'Saturn S-series' started by Citadel85, Aug 6, 2024.

1. Citadel85

Citadel85

Retired - can now play with the car - this is a blast!

240,000 mile car was running rough .. idle jumping all over etc. I bought a code reader. The reader looked like a shopping list on dollar day at Cosco for a family of 10. A huge list.
    Cleared them all: replaced EGR valve, replaced fuel filter, replace coils and plugs w new wires, cleaned throttle body <throttle body cleaner> while on car with clean rag, and put in new air filter.

Car now idles fine <both in neutral and while in gear>. There is no more jerking on acceleration; it appears to run great BUT ....
    Now, when I come to an intersection, it idles 800-1000 fine, but when I hit the gas.. it stalls. I can drop it in park and restart it quick and pull away. This is a new symptom. Nope - no codes.
    Wires are right from plugs to coils, hoses reconnected, clamps are all tight, I'm at a loss ..
    HELP.

TY...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
    Citadel85, Aug 6, 2024
  2. Citadel85

DerfDerf

May have damaged throttle position sensor during cleaning.

Dancing idle and clean restart after off on are consistent with this.
    I think you cleaned all the crap out of the IAC so that's good.

I believe the idle for that engine should be below 800. Possibly 850. If it lingers around 1,000 when the engine is warmed up or does not come down lower then 1,000, it is possible you have a vacuum leak or did not reconnect something.

It is also possible that the behavior above is related to the throttle position sensor.

I would try replacing that first.
    Throwing parts at it is expensive. I will help you work your way through.

DerfDerf, Aug 25, 2024
  3. Citadel85

Derf

Accidentally created a second username
    ------
    May have damaged throttle position sensor during cleaning.

Dancing idle and clean restart after off on are consistent with this.
    I think you cleaned all the crap out of the IAC so that's good.

I believe the idle for that engine should be below 800. Possibly 850. If it lingers around 1,000 when the engine is warmed up or does not come down lower then 1,000, it is possible you have a vacuum leak or did not reconnect something.

It is also possible that the behavior above is related to the throttle position sensor.

I would try replacing that first.
    Throwing parts at it is expensive. I will help you work your way through.

Derf, Aug 25, 2024
Ask a Question